What is HTML
HTML is short for HyperText Markup Language.
- HyperText : Text which leads a user to another site or to another part of the same document, when user clicks on a certain place in the document.
- Markup : Tags that apply layout and structure to plain text, plain text is marked up with tags.
- Language : A reference to the fact that HTML is considered a programming language
Note : HTML is not a programming language.
You can make static web pages using HTML. The basic structure of all web pages are written in HTML.
When we open an HTML file in browser, the browser finds HTML code in text to change the layout, insert images, or create links to other web pages.
A markup language uses tags to identify content.
HTML5 is the latest version of HyperText Markup Language.
Additional features of HTML5 :
- WebSocket : A next-generation bidirectional communication technology for web applications.
- Geolocation : HTML geolocation is used to get the geographical position of a user.
- Drag and Drop : Drag and drop items from one place to another place on the same page.
- Forms 2.0 : Introduced new attributes for
- Server-Sent Events : With server-sent events, web pages automatically gets updates from server. For example : News feeds, Facebook & Twitter updates, sport results, etc.
- Audio & Video : In HTML5 you can easily embed video and audio in web pages by using
- Microdata : You can create your own vocabularies beyond HTML5 and extend your web pages with custom semantics.
- New Semantic Elements : These elements are clearly describes its meaning, HTML5 new semantic elements are
- Persistent Local Storage : With persistent local storage a web application can store data in the user browser.
A Simple HTML Document :
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>WebPlover</title> </head> <body> <h1>Heading</h1> </body> </html>
Example Explaining :
<!DOCTYPE html>declaration is used for HTML5, when a browser sees the
<!DOCTYPE html>tag, it assumes you are using HTML5.
<html>element is the root element of an HTML page. It specifies that the web page is written in HTML.
<head>element contains the page title and <meta> tags, moreover you can include the js and css scripts in it.
<title>As it is known by its name, this element contains the title/name of the web page.
<body>element contains all the displayable content for the page.
<h1>element specifies the largest font size of heading.
Note : An element is a set of opening and closing tags.
For example: <h1></h1> is an element.